Secular group demands investigation into Mike Pompeo's 'Christian Leader' speech

www.christianpost.com | 10/22/2019 | Staff
rach-rach (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/35/233536.jpeg

Facebook Twitter Email Print Menu Comment

A secular church and state watchdog group is calling on the U.S. Inspector General to open an investigation into Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for a speech he gave at a Christian conference, which they deem as an "unconstitutional endorsement of religion."

Americans - United - Separation - Church - State

Americans United for Separation of Church and State sent a letter to the Office of the Inspector General last Friday regarding Pompeo's speech titled “Being a Christian Leader” that he gave at the American Association of Christian Counselors’ World Conference in Nashville, Tennessee, earlier this month.

During the speech, Pompeo told the counselors that, just like them, he draws on the “wisdom of God” to help him “be a force for good in the life of human beings.”

People - Media - Pitchforks - God - Direction

He added: “Now, I know that even having just said that, I know some people in the media will break out the pitchforks when they hear that I ask God for direction in my work. But you should know, as much as I’d like to claim originality, it is not a new idea. I love this quote from President Lincoln. He said, quote: ‘I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.’”

Americans United is accusing Pompeo's Oct. 11 talk of being “a proselytizing speech that endorsed Christianity in his official government capacity, as well as the department’s use of its resources to promote the speech.”

Letter - Pompeo - Speech - Event - Position

The letter notes that Pompeo said in his speech that he was speaking at the event because of his position as secretary of state. The group also took issue with the State Department's decision to post a video and transcript of the speech...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!