CALL NO ONE MASTER

spectrummagazine.org | 10/22/2019 | Staff
pixielilia (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://spectrummagazine.org/sites/default/files/2019-10-22-spirituality.png

If you knock around the Gospels for awhile, you begin to notice a pattern in the sayings of Jesus. He reverses ideas, turns them upside down, bends and breaks them, then shapes them into something new. These are sometimes hard to hear. They run outside the grooves we’re used to; their rhythms and inflections don’t follow common patterns, so that if you’re just tracking the rise and fall of a familiar verse — not really paying attention to the words — he tangles that all up and then you have to pay attention and really listen, not just hear.

So it is with his idea of exaltation and humbling.

Text - Times - Smooth - Nothing - Finger

By now, we may have read this text so many times that it is worn smooth, nothing there to snag a finger on a jagged edge. If you come to this looking for leadership principles, like those in Jesus, CEO (“How Jesus built a disorganized staff of twelve into a thriving enterprise! Principles of success that can translate into any corporate business!), you will be disappointed.

Humility is like one of those Chinese finger traps: forcing it tightens it down. If you exalt yourself, you will be humbled. If you humble yourself in order to be exalted, you’ve defeated the purpose and you will most likely end up humiliated. Humility or humbleness is almost impossible if you have to schedule it. If you try it on, it won't fit. It will be too tight, too short, too big, dead false. In other words, humility raised to the level of consciousness becomes pride.

Humility - Character - Time - Voice - Me

I’ve wondered if genuine humility instead comes from character built over time. How to still the insistent voice that pipes up, “Me! What about me?”

The greater the attention to oneself and the greater the position one holds, the more self-pity becomes the drug...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
NY Times, a small niche paper for a small niche people in a really big internet
Tagged: