Producer Reset: Independent Producers Unplug at the Nevada City Film Festival Filmmaker Residency

Filmmaker Magazine | 10/21/2019 | Scott Macaulay
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Nevada-City-628x348.jpg

by Scott Macaulay

Borne of what the festival cites as its fun and nourishing values, the Nevada City Film Festival Filmmaker Residency honors the region’s Nisenan and Chinese-American communities by hosting diverse storytellers, with a priority on filmmakers of indigenous and Asian descent. The Residency originated from producer Karin Chien, NCFF Director Jesse Locks and NCFF Founder Jeff Clark.

Year - August - Nevada - City - Filmmaker

Wrapping its second year this past August, the 2019 Nevada City Filmmaker Residency turned a creative spotlight onto independent producers. NCFF hosted prolific independent producer Zhang Xianmin from Beijing for a three-week residency in Grass Valley, CA. NCFF also hosted four US indie producers working in fiction, documentary, immersive and television for a five-day nature-immersed retreat in Nevada City, CA.

The 2019 Residents are: Zhang Xianmin (Free and Easy, Kaili Blues, over 80 feature producing credits); Christina King (Warrior Women, We The Animals); Kimberly Parker (The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Those People); Vassiliki Khonsari (Hero, 1979 Revolution); Diane Houslin (Masterclass, HBO, ESPN).

US - Producers - Questions - Experience - Artists

We asked the four US producers three questions about their week-long experience at an artists residency/retreat designed for independent producers.

Filmmaker: This year the NCFF Filmmaker Residency turned its focus on independent producers with the intent to honor producers as creative beings and essential talent. Tell us about your creative process. Do you have practices that jumpstart or recharge your creativity?

Christina - King - Retreat - Directors - Scripts

Christina King: I do now! Before the retreat I got inspired by directors, scripts — things that sometimes came around and sometimes didn’t. That’s a process I don’t have any control over. After the retreat, I started journaling and making point to go to the park or find some kind of green space where I don’t look at my phone. That has helped tremendously with burnout and with having some agency over managing the quality of my energy. I also picked...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!