Trump May Keep Small Force in Eastern Syria, to Check ISIS and Protect Oilfields

CNS News | 10/21/2019 | Staff
adele2234adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/trump-esper-milleyg.jpg

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185934502906007552

(CNSNews.com) – As U.S. troops are being redeployed from Syria to western Iraq, there were indications at the weekend that President Trump may be prepared to leave a residual force across the border in eastern Syria, in a bid to keep a lid on ISIS and help to ensure that oilfields in the area to not fall into hands of the Iranians, whose forces are in Syria to bolster Bashar Assad’s regime.

Hints came on Sunday from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a close ally of Trump who has been vocally critical of his recent troop pullout decisions in the face of a Turkish assault on Syrian Kurdish forces who were allies with the U.S. in the fight against ISIS.

Change - Tone - Graham - Fox - News

In a marked change of tone, Graham told Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures” that he was “increasingly optimistic that we can have some historic solutions in Syria that have eluded us for years, if we play our cards right.”

Saying he had spoken to Trump over the weekend, Graham said “the president appreciates what the Kurds have done. He wants to make sure ISIS does not come back. I expect we will continue to partner with the Kurds in eastern Syria to make sure ISIS does not re-emerge.”

Graham - Trump - Box - Oilfields - Part

Graham also said Trump was “thinking outside the box” when it comes to the oilfields in that part of Syria.

“I was so impressed with his thinking about the oil. Not only are we going to deny the oilfields falling into Iranian hands; I believe we are on the verge of a joint venture between us and the [Kurdish-led] Syrian Democratic Forces, who helped to destroy ISIS and keep them destroyed, to modernize the oilfields and make sure that they get the revenue – not the Iranians, not Assad – and it can help pay for our small...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!