The 3 steps I take to save money and earn more than 100,000 points each year shopping online

Business Insider | 10/20/2019 | Sarah Silbert
duck.ieduck.ie (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://image.businessinsider.com/5da9f748cc4a0a1d720b7b20?width=1200&format=jpeg&imgtype=.jpg

Across all my loyalty program accounts, I've earned more than 1 million points and miles.

While I've earned many of these rewards by traveling and opening rewards credit cards like the Platinum Card® from American Express and earning their sign-up bonuses, I've also amassed plenty of points and miles through online shopping portals — more than 100,000 this year alone.

Shopping - Portals - Gateways - Websites - Rewards

Shopping portals are online gateways to retailer websites that earn you bonus rewards. When you click through a shopping portal, you'll earn extra points, miles, or cash back for each dollar you spend.

You could even "triple-dip" by earning rewards from your credit card, from a shopping portal, and from Amex Offers.

Read - Finance - Coverage

Read more personal finance coverage.

I've racked up more than one million points and miles since I began earning travel rewards about seven years ago. And I don't mean to brag — that number is actually quite meager compared to the loyalty account balances of many of my friends who are deeper into "the hobby."

Hundreds - Thousands - Miles - Year - Airfare

Earning hundreds of thousands of miles each year is easy when you're constantly flying on paid airfare and booking hotel stays with credit cards that earn you bonus points on your spending. But in the last few years I've been happy to sacrifice the thrills of seeing the world for enjoying a more regular schedule (and uninterrupted circadian rhythms).

That said, I still manage to earn plenty of points and miles here on the homefront, largely by maximizing my shopping purchases. I make most of my purchases online, and this has allowed me to earn more than 100,000 rewards this year alone.

Steps - Purchase - Online - Points - Rewards

Here are the three steps I take before making a purchase online to make sure I'm earning as many points as possible from my rewards credit cards and loyalty programs.

Keep in mind that we're focusing on the rewards...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!