Angelina Jolie Has a 'Very Moving' Experience at French Cancer Research Center

PEOPLE.com | 10/20/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/angelina-jolie-8.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1034px,542.85px&resize=1200,630

Angelina Jolie was very “moved” by a recent visit to the Institut Curie, France’s leading center in the fight against cancer.

The Maleficent: Mistress of Evil actress, who has been open about her own cancer scares in the past, spent time with young patients and their families on Saturday, and also met with doctors to discuss the latest discoveries in breast and ovarian cancer research.

Experience - Doctors - World - Day - Solutions

“It was a very moving, very human experience to see doctors from around the world coming together every day trying to find solutions to cancer, working alongside the very patients — some of them young children — who are undergoing treatment,” Jolie, 44, said in a statement.

“I could see the close bond the doctors and scientific teams have with the patients and their families, who are battling cancer together with so much love and care,” she added. “I was especially moved by a boy undergoing treatment who told me he had already decided to be a doctor when he grows up, so he can help the doctors he so admires.”

Mom - New - Discoveries - Treatments - Thing

The mom of six also noted, “New scientific discoveries are being made and new medical treatments developed. The most important thing, from my own experience, is to seek advice and be informed about your options.”

In 2013, Jolie had a preventive double mastectomy, a decision she came to after genetic tests showed she carried a mutated BRCA1 gene, predisposing her to the possibilities of developing breast cancer.

Years - Cancer - Scare - Ovaries - Tubes

Two years later, an ovarian cancer scare lead her to remove her ovaries and fallopian tubes.

Jolie’s mother died of ovarian cancer in 2007 at age 56, and her aunt died of breast cancer in 2013 at age 61.

Institut - Curie - Jolie - Professor - Dominique

While at the Institut Curie, Jolie also met with Professor Dominique Stoppa-Lyonnet, who was one of the first to open a genetic consultation service dedicated to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!