‘Watchmen’ Director Breaks Down Creating a Squid Storm, Hero Moments for Regina King

Variety | 10/20/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/watchmen-regina-king.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not yet watched the series premiere of “Watchmen,” which aired Oct. 20 on HBO.

The protagonist of “Watchmen” is leading a double life. By day, she goes by Angela (Regina King) and is a bakery owner, daughter, wife and mother who is first introduced to the audience while visiting her son’s class. By night, or whenever the situation calls for it, though, she is Sister Night, a masked defender of society and those within it’s rights. Both sides to her offer her different ways to be a hero, albeit a complicated one.

Time - Sister - Night - Car - Montage

“When we introduce her for the first time as Sister Night, to show that car and the montage of her getting ready, these are tropes of the genre, but we wanted to put our spin on it, just enjoying the elements of her costume and how it functions and how bad-**** it is. And when she gets out of the car and storms into that suspect’s trailer, her strut and her body language is entirely different,” executive producer and director Nicole Kassell tells Variety. “The first thing she does is beat information from someone, and to me that very much starts the arc of her character. We constantly have to be discussing, what is she saying? It’s essential to me as a filmmaker and an artist and a person in this world to not be glamorizing violence.”

While much of the flash of “Watchmen” focuses on the “costume adventure thread” of Sister Night, says Kassell, “the story of family is to me what it’s truly about. We meet Old Man Will at the end, and the mystery between these characters is what’s most important to me, and what’s most interesting.”

Series - Unfold - Clearer - Old - Man

As the series unfold, it will become clearer whether Old Man Will is an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!