Francis Ford Coppola Calls Marvel Movies “Despicable” While Martin Scorsese Holds His Beer

/Film | 10/20/2019 | Ethan Anderton
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/fracisfordcoppola-twixt-directing.jpg

Martin Scorsese threw fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a tizzy recently when he said that the films of Marvel Studios and other superhero movies alike were not what he considered cinema. Instead, he equated them to theme park rides and even took it a step further by saying movie theaters needed to support what he called “narrative films” instead of superhero movies. At the same time, he did acknowledge the hard work that goes into them, though he reaffirmed his belief that they are not truly cinema. But director Francis Ford Coppola took it a step further.

While speaking to journalists in Lyon, France after accepting the Prix Lumiere award for his overall contributions to cinema throughout his career, Coppola was asked about Martin Scorsese’s comments, and The Godfather saga fiilmmaker did not hold back when throwing shade at Marvel movies, reiterating again that they “are not cinema” but also adding that they are “despicable.” Find out the rest of the Francis Ford Coppola Marvel movie criticism below.

Yahoo - News - Attention - Coppola - Commentary

Yahoo News brought our attention to Coppola’s commentary, and here’s what the director had to say:

“When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again. Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

Lot

There’s a lot to unpack here.

First, let’s just address the fact that Francis Ford Coppola is a filmmaking legend. As the director of masterpieces like The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Apocalypse Now, and The Conversation, he’s proven that he’s a master storyteller. Furthermore, not only has he earned...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!