‘Maleficent 2’ Director Joachim Rønning on Finding the Emotional Core in a Blockbuster Sequel

Collider | 10/20/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/maleficent-2-joaching-ronning-michelle-pfeiffer.jpg

From director Joachim Rønning, the fantasy epic Maleficent: Mistress of Evil delves deeper into the bond between the dark fae Maleficent (Angelina Jolie) and her human goddaughter Aurora (Elle Fanning), as the complex family ties that bind them are tested. And while the impending nuptials between Aurora and Prince Philip (Harris Dickinson) are a cause for celebration and a uniting of two worlds, they also lead to new enemies and unexpected allies.

While at the Los Angeles press day, Collider got the opportunity to sit down and chat 1-on-1 with filmmaker Joachim Rønning (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Kon-Tiki) about the complexity of making movies, the biggest moment of joy that he has during the process, what was more important to him, when it came to getting this film right, why he felt the first film was such a big hit, balancing all of the character journeys, deleted scenes, the test screening process, and what he thinks he might want to do next.

Collider - Movie - Way - Response - Were

Collider: When this movie came your way, what was your response? Were you excited to jump right in?

JOACHIM RONNING: I have a tendency to be happy for about three seconds. And then, I realize that I have to create it to actually pull it all off. Making any movie is complex. The movies I’ve done, and subsequently what I’m attracted to, are the world-creating movies and stories, and they just take forever to do. There are thousands of people and they’re very expensive, so there’s pressure from that. I don’t make it easy for myself. But then, at the end of the day, it’s also rewarding to see what I had in my head, two years ago, and now it’s suddenly on the screen. The biggest moment of joy that I have, in any filmmaking...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!