Week in Review: The web’s free speech conundrum

TechCrunch | 10/20/2019 | Staff
vpp1219 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Zuckerberg-Georgetown-Wideshot.png?w=764

Hey everyone. Thank you for welcoming me into you inbox yet again.

If you’re reading this on the TechCrunch site, you can get this in your inbox here, and follow my tweets here.

Zuckerberg - Week - Keynote - Front - Congress

Zuckerberg had an interesting week, delivering a very rehearsed keynote that was neither in front of Congress or an audience of developers at F8. He spoke at Georgetown on the topic of free speech and Facebook’s brand of capitalism.

“These two simple ideas — voice and inclusion — go hand in hand. We’ve seen this throughout history, even if it doesn’t feel that way today. More people being able to share their perspectives has always been necessary to build a more inclusive society. And our mutual commitment to each other — that we hold each others’ right to express our views and be heard above our own desire to always get the outcomes we want — is how we make progress together.

View - People - People - Voice - Division

But this view is increasingly being challenged. Some people believe giving more people a voice is driving division rather than bringing us together. More people across the spectrum believe that achieving the political outcomes they think matter is more important than every person having a voice. I think that’s dangerous. Today I want to talk about why, and some important choices we face around free expression.

Throughout history, we’ve seen how being able to use your voice helps people come together. We’ve seen this in the civil rights movement. Frederick Douglass once called free expression “the great moral renovator of society”. He said “slavery cannot tolerate free speech”. Civil rights leaders argued time and again that their protests were protected free expression, and one noted: “nearly all the cases involving the civil rights movement were decided on First Amendment grounds”.

Facebook - Position

Facebook is in an interesting position here, where they’re tying a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...