ROME DAY 12: Chapels Stupid and Stupendous, Important Book and Talks

wdtprs.com | 10/20/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
marked (Posted by) Level 4

In Rome today Sunrise was at 7:20 and the Sunset will be at 18:31, with the curial Ave Maria at 18:45.

During the relatively unhurried day, I had to pick up a package that I had sent to myself by Amazon. I’ve contemplated how to do this, since there’s no way to admit a deliverer where I am. Ask at a local shop to take it? That might work. In any event, in most big cities there’s a locker situation where you can correct your gear. I opted for post office not far from where I go for Mass.

Course - Stroke - Option - Post - Office

Of course I must have been having a little stroke when I chose that option. A post office. An Italian post office. What was a I thinking? NOTHING is easy or fast at an Italian post office. So, I, seething, waited for a window to open up. The languid, bureaucratic indifference of the Italian postal clerk may be the ultimate origin of the phenomenon of “going postal”.

I did Sudoku on my phone.

Visit - Church - St - Philip - Neri

Here’s a brief visit to a lovely little church, where St. Philip Neri originally started his oratory: San Girolamo della Carità on the Piazza Santa Catarina della Rota (therefore Catherine of Alexandria, not Siena) next to the little church I wrote about yesterday.

It is said that this church was built at the place where St. Jerome (+420) lived while in Rome. Remember that not too far is the complex built by Pope Damasus who had Jerome work on the “Vulgate” Latin translation of the Bible. A must see here is the chapel of the Spada family (the palazzo Spada is nearby).

Church - St - Philip - Neri - Oratory

At this church St. Philip Neri started his first oratory. So, this church also has a heritage of music: there is a connection between the oratory (group of men) and oratorio (musical...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: