Yahya Abdul-Mateen II on the Social Relevance of ‘Watchmen’ and the New ‘Candyman’

Collider | 10/19/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/watchmen-regina-king-yahya-abdul-manteen-II-01-600x426.jpg

From show creator Damon Lindelof (The Leftovers, Lost) and based on the iconic graphic novel co-created and illustrated by Dave Gibbons, the HBO drama series Watchmen is set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws and the police conceal their identities behind masks to protect themselves from a terrorist organization, known as the Seventh Kavalry. It’s a story that is equal parts challenging and thought-provoking, as it looks at so many of the modern issues that plague us today, and questions who the true heroes and villains really are.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (who plays Detective Angela Abar’s husband, Cal) talked about how much he knew about the project in advance, why he was willing to follow this creative team on this journey, what has most surprised him about making the series, his own personal relationship with comic books, and his experience working with co-star Regina King. He also talked about what it means to him to be bringing the mythology of Candyman to a new audience, when that film is released in the summer of 2020.

Collider - Show - Everyone - Work - Advance

Collider: There’s so much to talk about, with this show, and everyone does such incredible work in it. How much were you told in advance about the arc of the show? Did you know what the bigger picture was, or have those layers been revealed on an episode by episode basis for you?

YAHYA ABDUL-MATEEN II: To be perfectly honest, I didn’t know anything. The answer is none, at all. I went into this blindly willing to follow Damon [Lindelof] and Regina [King], and the strength of the work that HBO does. I was really, really fortunate, and not at all surprised, that it turned out to be a really fun, thought-provoking, meaningful journey. Once...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!