In the Middle of the Frozen Food Aisle

(in)courage | 10/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/101319_Schmidt_RoadOfWelcome.jpg

In the middle of Aldi’s frozen food aisle, I did church. Right in between the tater tots and frozen peas, I almost missed it, but I’m so grateful I didn’t.

I’ve spent the last few years studying the theology of hospitality, and I’ve begged the Holy Spirit to heighten my awareness on the topic. After four decades of following Him, I’m having my own mini-revival in my own heart.

Eyes - Ways - Ears - Conversations - Stories

It’s hard to explain, but He’s opening my eyes in new ways. He’s perked my ears to conversations that I typically stroll by, and He’s revealing powerful stories simply because I’m slowing down enough to walk this road of welcome wherever I go.

Stay alert, aware, and engage is my mantra. I’m turning apathy into attentiveness.

DC - School - Trip - Sister-in-law - Prep

As I chaperoned a D.C. high school trip, my sister-in-law and I were tasked with meal prep. As I pushed my cart in the grocery store, I observed the oddest pairing of shoppers: an elderly white man and a young African American man pushing a cart together.

I started eavesdropping on their conversation.

Man - Items - Treat - Man - Commentary

The young man held up two items, and he contemplated, “If I buy this, it’s twice as much as that, so I can’t afford both.” He put the treat back, and the man gave a short commentary about his decision.

Is it weird that I started tearing up? I can’t begin to explain how this moment impacted me. I stumbled upon an older man mentoring a younger man on the simple tasks of grocery shopping. A daily act that we take for granted.

Phone - Okay - Task

I inched closer and “went on my phone.” Okay, I’ll admit it. I stalked them because I was so moved by this seemingly ordinary, mundane task.

I wanted to yell over the loudspeaker, “Life changing legacy on Aisle 7. Pay close attention, this is how we do life...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: