Weekly Meanderings, 19 October 2019

Jesus Creed | 10/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2018/10/IMG_4623-1-e1539975299569.jpg

What a grand way to kick off this week’s meanderings, with a link to a post about books and hoarding.

“It’s not hoarding if it’s books.” This is a popular saying among bibliophiles with various versions like the above circulating as memes on social media. I’m not so sure if that’s always true. From comments I read, there are a number of us who are book hoarders. Notice that I include myself here. You know you are a book hoarder if:

Bookstore - Book - Ten - Stacks - Home

You cannot leave a bookstore without a book, or ten, even if you have stacks at home to read.

You would have live at least fifty years longer than most mortals live (and retain your sight) to read all your books.

Part - Yourself - Book - Book - Question

You almost feel a part of yourself is being amputated when you get rid of a book even if you know you will not read, or read again the book in question.

You have books everywhere, not just on your shelves–in stacks on the floor, on tables, on furniture, in every room, perhaps in closets.

Course - Habit - Safety - Exit - Doors

Of course if this habit is compromising your safety by blocking exit doors, or your marriage, or your finances, or your children’s welfare, then it is a serious business and you really do need to get help. What once may have been a healthy love of books is no longer.

For most of us it is not nearly so bad. There are so many good things about reading. It cultivates emotional sensitivity and compassion. At its best, it holds forth virtues to which we aspire. It entertains. It enlarges our vision of the world. It helps form and guide our spiritual journeys. And sometimes, with a hot beverage and a well-made chair, it is one of the most comfortable moments of many of our days.

Door

Her door remains open.

We live and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!