Party I loved must not betray Brexit, says IAN AUSTIN who quit Labour to become an independent MP

Mail Online | 10/18/2019 | Ian Austin Mp For Dudley North For The Daily Mail
applecanapplecan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/18/22/19903872-0-image-a-5_1571433289649.jpg

The choice facing every Labour MP today is a stark one that should have nothing to do with party politics.

It is unlikely that there will be a more important parliamentary vote in their lifetime.

Decision - Deal - Brussels - Government - Britain

Indeed, their decision should be straightforward: back the deal agreed between Brussels and the Government or condemn Britain to more years of political crisis.

The vast majority of these MPs were voted in on Labour’s 2017 general election manifesto which could not have been clearer. It stated in unambiguous terms – one which I signed up to – that ‘Labour accepts the referendum result’.

Today - Chance - Pledge - Wishes

Today is their chance to honour that pledge. Personal wishes should not factor into it now.

It is true that like myself, 217 other Labour MPs, voted Remain in 2016. But that is history. I would be betraying my Leave-voting Dudley constituency, as well as every democratic fibre of my being, if I opted to scupper our withdrawal.

Referendum - Result - Compromise - Theresa - May

Ever since the referendum, I’ve always felt that, with such a close result, we would need to find a compromise. That’s why I consistently backed Theresa May’s deal, which was defeated three times in the Commons.

At the time, I pleaded with Labour MPs – 60 per cent of whom represent Leave majorities – to swallow their pride and do their duty. After all, what are MPs for if not for keeping commitments to constituents?

Labour - Everything - Power - Brexit - Voters

And yet Labour has done everything in its power to betray Brexit voters.

Meanwhile, the cost of this paralysis to the country has been severe. Our economy is pinned back by uncertainty. Parliament’s attention has been diverted from other issues of supreme importance – our schools and NHS. This catastrophic situation cannot be allowed to continue.

Labour - MPs - Concerns - Workers - Rights

Several Labour MPs have rightly expressed concerns about workers’ rights and environmental issues post Brexit. To them, I say: There will never...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!