REVIEW – HEALING TOGETHER: A GUIDE TO SUPPORTING SEXUAL ABUSE SURVIVORS

sharperiron.org | 10/18/2019 | Staff
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Mark Aderholt. Several of you may recognize the name; his story was noted by SharperIron in 20181, as was the ensuing scandal as the Southern Baptist Convention’s IMB struggled to deal with the public outrage once the specific details of his crimes became more widely known, due in large part to Anne’s own bravery in disclosing her abuse and the ensuing public fallout.

With all of the turmoil in our churches regarding abuse, and the very public controversy that has swirled around the SBC, ABWE, and other Baptist entities, many men I know look at the issue and feel confident that they have the right procedures and policies in place to prevent abuse from happening within their sphere.

God - Survivor - Sheep - Fold - Seminaries

But what do you do when God brings a survivor or a wounded sheep to your fold? Then what? Most seminaries don’t provide in depth counseling training for men in their M.A./M.Div. programs, as other subjects like Greek, Systematic Theology, and Ministry Practicum courses fight for attention and resources. That is exactly why Anne Marie Miller’s book is so immediately helpful and practical for anyone, particularly ministry leaders. I would highly recommend it to any and believe that it serves as an excellent companion to the valuable “What Is A Girl Worth” by Rachael Denhollander (which I reviewed earlier this year). If you think of this book as “what to do when an abuse survivor is in your church,” you’re already a long way towards understanding the book’s value, potency and necessity in our day. It is an excellent primer on the subject and well worth the time invested in reading it.

Anne Marie Miller’s eminently valuable book is NOT a feel-good story of how God is making all things new and how abuse victims will eventually be made whole again, although she touches on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: sharperiron.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.