Chef murdered his estranged wife and two daughters aged five and six on New Year's Day, court hears

Mail Online | 1/10/2007 | James Wood For Mailonline
oxboyoxboy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/17/20/19850580-0-image-a-2_1571339376835.jpg

A chef murdered his estranged wife and two young daughters in a dispute over his immigration status in Britain, a court has heard.

Bangladeshi Mohammed Abdul Shakur, 46, allegedly killed 26-year-old Juli Begum and children Anika and Thanha Khanum, aged five and six, in East Ham, east London on New Year's Day 2007.

Days - Country - India - April - Year

Days later, he allegedly fled the country only to be extradited from India in April this year to face trial at the Old Bailey.

Jurors were told that a bone of contention throughout their marriage was Shakur's status in the UK.

'If - Visa - Country - Family

Before they became estranged in 2001, he allegedly told her: 'If you don't correct my visa and you don't make me legal to stay in this country then I will kill you and kill your whole family.'

Prosecutor David Spens QC told how Ms Begum led an 'insular life' and in 1999, at the age of 19, had travelled from the UK to Bangladesh for an arranged marriage with the defendant, who was her cousin.

Thanks - Sponsorship - Visa - Shakur - Wife

In 2000, thanks to her sponsorship for a one-year visa, Shakur came to live with his wife and her mother in Poplar, east London.

After three years, Ms Begum, the children and her mother moved to East Ham, east London, following the breakdown of the relationship.

Mr - Spens - Marriage - Ms - Begum

Mr Spens said: 'The marriage between Ms Begum and the defendant was not a happy one.

'It was beset by arguments about the defendant's immigration status and his financial contribution towards the family outgoings.'

Jurors - Ms - Begum - Husband - Someone

He told jurors Ms Begum feared her husband would leave her and marry someone else if he obtained leave to remain in the country.

Mr Spens said: 'Juli was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!