Here's why Foster MUST back Boris Johnson's deal, says RUTH DUDLEY EDWARDS

Mail Online | 10/17/2019 | Ruth Dudley Edwards For The Daily Mail
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/18/02/19865858-0-image-a-17_1571361647556.jpg

Before the 2016 referendum I, like so many others, dithered about how to vote, not least because I was concerned about how Brexit could affect the Republic of Ireland, of which I am a citizen.

I was born and brought up in Dublin, but I’ve lived in England since I was 21. I describe myself as British-Irish, am an enemy of violent Irish republicanism and have far more friends among Unionists than Nationalists.

EU - Lifesaver - Republic

But I was all too aware that the EU had been a lifesaver, economically and socially, for the once-impoverished Republic.

What persuaded me in the end was a hard, analytical look at the EU. I concluded it was utterly resistant to necessary reform and had imperialistic pretensions, while being brazenly unaccountable and increasingly sclerotic.

Organisation - Sign - Date

As an organisation it was showing every sign of being past its sell-by date.

Still, I voted Leave nervously.

Days - Hardline - Brexiteer - Way - Brussels

These days, however, I would describe myself as a hardline Brexiteer. I was appalled at the way Brussels humiliated Theresa May, and how our own Remain-leaning civil servants seemed to hinder Brexit at every turn.

We Leavers have been derided as half-witted, ignorant racists and treated with utter contempt by Remainers in Parliament and their allies, including a disgracefully partisan Speaker, John Bercow, and a line-up of ex-PMs, ex-ministers and assorted peers.

Heart - Conspiracy - Officials - United - Kingdom

They were at the heart of a conspiracy with European officials to undermine the United Kingdom’s attempt to regain its sovereignty. So I want Brexit and I want it now.

That said, I’m very sympathetic to the fears of Northern Irish Unionists, and latterly have been grateful to the DUP for holding the line against those pushing Brino (Brexit in name only).

MP - Prime - Minister - Deal - Tomorrow

But if I were an MP, I would be voting for the Prime Minister’s deal tomorrow. And in the interests of getting us out of the European Union, I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Woof!