Study: Racism shortens lives and hurts health of blacks by promoting genes that lead to inflammation and illness

phys.org | 5/31/2019 | Staff
tictac399 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://scx2.b-cdn.net/gfx/news/hires/2019/studyracisms.jpg

Negative social attitudes, such as racism and discrimination, damage the health of those who are targeted by triggering a cascade of aberrant biological responses, including abnormal gene activity. It is not surprising that reports documenting lifespan and causes of mortality have demonstrated a clear pattern: African Americans die sooner and bear a heavier burden of many diseases, including hypertension, heart disease, dementia and late-stage breast cancer.

Scientists have searched for genetic causes to health disparities between blacks and whites but have had limited success. The strongest evidence to date points to social-environmental factors such as poverty, health care inequities and racism.

Society - Racism - Inequality - Study - Americans

Our society is plagued by racism and racial inequality which is not fully recognized by all, according to a recent study showing that many Americans overestimate our progress in fixing racial inequality. On the other hand, more Americans (65%) are aware that it has become more common for people to express racist or racially insensitive views, according to a U.S. survey.

Racism is not merely negative attitudes or treatment from one person to another. Racism has deep historical roots in American society, sustained through institutional policies and practices, whereby people of color are routinely and systematically treated differently than whites.

American/white - Individual - Comments - Cringe - College

As an African American/white individual, I often experienced comments growing up like "You don't sound black," and "What are you?" that made me cringe. In college, I became intrigued by the field of psychology as it was a field that explained how prejudices, stereotyping and racism arise. My research as a clinical psychologist at USC is focused on understanding how societal factors interact with biology to create disparities in health outcomes. A recent study I co-authored showed that racism promotes genes that turn on inflammation, one of the major drivers of disease.

Although racism may be less overt today than during the early 20th...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!