Middleburg Film Festival Brings Hollywood to Virginia

Variety | 10/17/2019 | Nick Clement
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/the-king-netflix.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

For the last seven years, audiences have flocked to the Middleburg Film Festival. Running October 17th – 21st, and situated in the wine-country hills of historic Middleburg, Virg., the festival usually highlights some of the year’s buzziest titles, and 2019 is no exception.

“We’re a smaller festival with fewer overall screenings than other events, so we really have to think hard about our selections,” says MFF Executive Director Susan Koch. MFF is also a unique festival in that it’s exclusively run by women. “One of our signature events is our Women in Film luncheon,” she says, “which is a terrific networking event and extremely important as a tool for allowing women to have their voices and opinions heard.”

Director - Connie - White - Schedule - Films

Programming director Connie White was responsible for whittling down a schedule of 34 films the festival should highlight. MFF’s opening night selection is “Marriage Story,” while the closing night will screen “The Irishman” – both from Netflix, and both arriving with serious accolades. The Friday spotlight selections are “Harriet” and “Waves,” and the Saturday night centerpiece is “Ford V. Ferrari.” Other titles include “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” “Clemency,” “A Hidden Life,” “The Report,” “Knives Out,” “The King,” “Varda by Agnes,” and the U.S. Premiere of “This Is Not A Movie.”

“I’m very excited about this year’s lineup,” says MFF founder and chair, Sheila Johnson. “I’m especially looking forward to seeing how our filmgoers respond to “Harriet,” which was filmed here in Virginia and tells the inspiring story of freedom fighter, Harriet Tubman, who repeatedly risked her own life to free countless slaves via the Underground Railroad.”

Johnson - Reason - Anticipation - Year - Crop

Johnson has extra reason for anticipation over this year’s crop of films – she helped to produce one. “I became involved in the documentary ‘Willie’ through my role as one of two African American NHL owners,” she says....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!