8 things I learned from playing Nintendo's weird Ring Fit Adventure

CNET | 10/17/2019 | Scott Stein
townskey13townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/PQYD4-VpLWTofIi1T4mtQOuCBXk=/756x567/2019/09/26/0cd5c716-169c-46ad-9db3-ba43e5cde7ac/switch-ringfitadventure-screen-01-bmp-jpgcopy.jpg

Ring Fit Adventure is the Switch's first fitness game, and it's good.

Nintendo used to make fitness games. I know, because the Wii Fit Balance Board is under my sofa, coated in a solid layer of dust. Wii Fit was a phenomenon, and it was so popular that my in-laws in the UK have a Wii Fit at their house, even though I've never seen them use it.

Nintendo - Switch - Game - Lot - Time

The Nintendo Switch finally has a fitness game too, and I'm surprised to say that it's a lot less weird than I expected. And, at the same time, pretty weird. I've worked out a handful of times with it in the last week, and this is what I discovered.

The Ring-Con accessory is brilliant. The flexible plastic hoop that comes with Ring Fit Adventure is like a giant steering wheel, but it can be squeezed for muscle exercises. One of the Switch's Joy-Con controllers slides right in and can sense the hoop's movement. I like how turning the hoop and lifting it up and down navigates menus. The whole game's designed with the understanding that I'll be holding this weird hoop during my workout, so it all feels intuitive. It's a better idea than the old Wii Fit, which made me hold Wii remotes while standing on that big balance board.

Bridget - Carey - Ring - Fit

This is not me. This is Bridget Carey, who is better at Ring Fit than I am.

I am not fit at all. Ring Fit Adventure is a pretty significant workout program. I set my intensity level to medium, but after warm-up stretches I was already winded. The game sent me through a regimen of light jogging, squats, (semi) sit-ups, and yoga poses. My legs felt the burn and I was achy the next day. I ramped the difficulty down.

Leg - Strap - Link

The leg strap is the weakest link.

The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!