Do We Really Need to Keep Singing Hymns?

ChurchLeaders | 10/17/2019 | Staff
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/10.17.HOME_.CC.KeepSingingHymns.jpg

Do we really need to keep singing hymns? When I say “Hymn,” what comes to mind?

Dusty cloth covers concealing musty yellow pages?

Archaic - Words - Music

Archaic words coupled with monotonous music?

A cherished part of your past?

Obligation

An obligation in your present?

A remnant of the lifeless religion of your parents?

Nothing

Nothing at all?

Growing up I attended an Assemblies of God church and didn’t know hymns existed. Later we attended a little country church where I heard my first hymn. Confusion soon followed. In High School I helped at a Lutheran church and hymns began to intrigue me.

Worship - Pastor - Hymns - Hymns - Reason

Now I’m a worship pastor and I have to decide for myself how I feel about singing hymns. Do we really need to keep singing hymns? I think so. And my first reason may surprise you.

Teens and twenty-somethings of the ’60s and ’70s wanted something new. “Don’t give me the stale, lifeless songs of my parents.”

Teens - Twenty-somethings - '90s - Relevance - Music

Teens and twenty-somethings of the late ’90s and early 2000’s wanted relevance. “If I come to church I want the music to sound like Coldplay and the pastor to look like he walked out of Abercrombie and Fitch.”

It’s changed again. Young people today (I include myself in this group) aren’t looking for something new. They aren’t looking for something relevant. We’re looking for something true. Something ancient.

Lifespan - Trend - Song - Style - Platform

The lifespan of a trend – a song, a style, a social platform – is getting shorter and shorter. The all-consuming cloud of the new is suffocating. New thoughts and ideas. New books and movies. New albums and genres. New technologies. Something new used...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?
Tagged: