I hear fairly often from victims of divorce–usually women

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 10/17/2019 | Staff
penaertpenaert (Posted by) Level 3
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-12-green.jpg

One of them sent my this link to a piece called “The Casserole Rules“:

When my husband of 27 years suddenly and unexpectedly left, it was weeks before my large-church-pastors noticed I was missing from Sunday morning services. And even weeks more before someone called to check in.

Managing - Shame - Hope - Bills - Reserves

I can’t blame them. I didn’t reach out. I was busy. I was inhaling and exhaling, managing shame, scrounging for hope, paying bills, and depositing what little emotional reserves I had to care for my devastated daughters, reeling family members, and befuddled friends. I was too busy facing the disappointment of opening my eyes in the morning, realizing that God hadn’t granted my nightly plea to take me in my sleep because I didn’t know how to live this way.

There were so many things I didn’t know about how to go through an unexpected divorce. There is no YouTube video, no manual, no to-do list for how to do it well. Yet, the one thing I did learn is that you won’t get a casserole from church when you’re in the middle of burying a marriage.

Fact - Year - Husband - Divorce - Church

I realized this after the fact. A year after my husband left and before the divorce was final, my dear church friend lost her husband to a sudden heart attack.

Here is the thing I learned when Joe died that I hadn’t even thought about when my husband dropped off the face of the earth. There are dozens of casseroles in the church freezer.

Joe - Church - Sue

When Joe died, the church stepped up big for Sue. She...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!