Bulgaria captain Ivelin Popov slams home fans for 'terrible' racial abuse towards England stars

Mail Online | 10/15/2019 | Ivelin Popov For The Daily Mail
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/15/21/19712408-0-image-a-9_1571170928394.jpg

Ivelin Popov, Bulgaria's captain, made a stand against the bigots who brought shame on his country.

At half-time on Monday night, he raced over to confront an angry mob and stood for 10 minutes remonstrating with them.

Hours - Tuesday - Popov - Vasil - Levski

In the early hours of Tuesday, Popov was outside the Vasil Levski Stadium, waiting to go home. Before leaving, he agreed to take questions from some English reporters, including Sportsmail. This was his honest reply.

It was important that I spoke with them at half-time because it is a very big problem for everybody - for our federation, for England and if they [the fans] said more bad words - even one more time - then maybe they would finish the game.

Punishment - Football - Players - Clubs - Everybody

We would have such a big punishment and this is no good for Bulgarian football because if some other players want to come here (to sign for clubs), they hear what is said and how they speak bad. This is no good for everybody.

Did the England players ask me to do it? No. We are 11 vs 11 - your colour does not matter. It's no problem. We are all the same. We are one very big family in football, everybody and only we - if we are together - can stop these bad things.

Fans - Half

The fans were angry with me? This is normal. The first half was 4-0. They were very...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!