ALMOST 60, DONNIE MCCLURKIN SAYS ‘I’M AT A TIME NOW I SING WHEN I WANT TO’

Urban Faith | 6/28/2015 | Adelle M. Banks, RNS
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://urbanfaith.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/donnie.png

Two decades ago, gospel singer Donnie McClurkin stepped on a London stage to record his second album.

Now, he’s returning to the United Kingdom for 20th-anniversary concerts on Oct. 18 and 19 to reprise the music of his “Live in London and More” CD that featured songs like “That’s What I Believe” and “We Fall Down.”

Grammy-winning - Pastor - Faith - Church - Congregation

The Grammy-winning pastor of Perfecting Faith Church, a Pentecostal congregation in Freeport, N.Y., says he latched onto the popularity of black gospel music that existed overseas long before his 1999 concert.

“People like Andrae Crouch and Edwin Hawkins and the like, they made the music global so it was all a byproduct of the global impact that American gospel had,” he said.

McClurkin - Nov - Celebration - Week - Jamaica

McClurkin, who will turn 60 on Nov. 9 and celebrate with a gospel-star-studded celebration a week later in Jamaica, N.Y., also hosts “The Donnie McClurkin Show.” He features a mixture of new and classic gospel music, interviews and inspirational messages that airs online and in some 60 markets from the U.S. to the United Kingdom to Africa.

He talked to Religion News Service about how Oprah Winfrey boosted his career, the status of his relationship with gospel artist Nicole C. Mullen and how retirement is a ways off.

Interview - Length - Clarity

The interview has been edited for length and clarity.

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO RECORD AN ALBUM IN LONDON 20 YEARS AGO, WHICH SOME PEOPLE MIGHT’VE CONSIDERED AN UNUSUAL MOVE?

London - Record - Company - Mentor - Andrae

I decided to go to London, which was considered unusual by the record company itself, because of my mentor, the late great Andrae Crouch. He did a musical concert in 1978 in London. That became a landmark. And I always wanted to go to London from the time I knew where England was. And that was my prime opportunity because they gave me a blank check and said you just do an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Urban Faith
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.