Marriage, Singleness, and Human Flourishing for Everyone (2 Corinthians 7)

The Aquila Report | 10/15/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.logos.com/images/Corporate/LibronixLink_dark.png

Remember that some in Corinth thought that sexual fulfillment came not from marital sex but from sex with prostitutes, and that others thought that we’d all be better off without sex. Paul doesn’t like either view. He’s neither “anything goes” nor is he a prude. Rather, he believes that sex in marriage is beautiful. It’s a good option, but it’s not about you.

Big Idea: Flourish regardless of your marital status or sexual activity by trusting God and finding your contentment in him.

Verse - Bible - New - King - James

If I had a least favorite verse in the Bible growing up, it may have been this one (in the New King James Version): “Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman” (1 Corinthians 7:1).

I don’t have to explain why I didn’t like this verse, do I? It seemed a little anti-sex and left me a bit confused.

Understood - Paul - Something - Corinthians - Culture

It would have helped if I had understood that Paul is dealing with something that some of the Corinthians had said. The Corinthian culture was very hedonistic. Some members of the church were visiting prostitutes because that was socially acceptable. Married men often took mistresses as sexual partners and confidants. They didn’t expect marriage to be the place for sexual fulfillment.

In response, some overreacted. They wrote to Paul and basically said, “Since sex is causing so many problems, I guess it’s better not to have sex.” Paul writes and says — quoting a different version:

Words - Paul - Sex - Church - Lots

In other words, it’s not Paul that is arguing that sex is bad. He’s responding to a church with competing beliefs: some saying that they want lots of good sex no matter how they get it, and others who saw sex as bad and something to be avoided. He’s writing to a diverse church with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!