Exercise 'more effective than DRUGS at tackling aggression and agitation in dementia patients'

Mail Online | 10/14/2019 | Connor Boyd Health Reporter For Mailonline
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/14/15/19697694-0-image-a-5_1571064811230.jpg

Exercise may be more effective at treating dementia side effects than medication in some cases, a study suggests.

Researchers found patients who have symptoms of aggression as a result of the disorder responded better to outdoor activities than antipsychotic drugs.

Massages - Therapy - Medications - Risk - Strokes

Massages and touch therapy were also more effective than the controversial medications, thought to increase the risk of strokes and death.

Scientists believe exercise and therapies help alleviate the emotional and physical stress causing patients to act out, rather than numbing them with drugs.

Team - Academics - St - Michael - Hospital

But the team of academics, led by St Michael's Hospital of Unity Health Toronto, warned that there was not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Almost 44,000 dementia patients are prescribed antipsychotics each year in England - nearly one in ten of all patients registered with the illness.

Government - Promising - Use - Decade - Fears

That’s despite the Government promising to crack down on their use a decade ago over fears the powerful drugs were being over-prescribed.

Antipsychotics are given to patients to sedate them if they become agitated or aggressive. Around 75 per cent of all sufferers show these behavioural symptoms.

Reason - Pain - Emotions

But usually there is a reason for them being upset – they may be in pain, uncomfortable or thirsty, but unable to express their emotions.

Medics currently treat patients with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep