Martin Scorsese Won’t Back Down From Anti-Marvel Stance: ‘It’s Not My Kind of Thing’

IndieWire | 10/13/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/scorsese-dean-martin.jpg

Martin Scorsese, recently in London to promote his upcoming film “The Irishman,” is not backing down from his prior statement that Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are the equivalent of the cotton-candy offerings of a theme park.

During a press conference this weekend at the BFI London Film Festival, the Academy Award-winning director said, “Theaters have become amusement parks,” according to CNET. “That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense. … That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It’s not my kind of thing; it simply is not. It’s creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that.”

Scorsese - Screed - Superhero - Tentpoles - Something

Scorsese did not relent in his screed against superhero tentpoles. “It’s not cinema, it’s something else,” he said. “We shouldn’t be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films.”

Martin Scorsese Stands Behind Decision to Take 'The Irishman' to Netflix: 'We Have to Make the Movie'

Scorsese - Remarks - Statement - Goodfellas - Taxi

Scorsese’s remarks follow a recent and controversial statement the “Goodfellas” and “Taxi Driver” filmmaker made regarding what he perceives to be the fatuousness of the MCU. “I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema,”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A slice out of infinity