‘Saturday Night Live’: Billy Porter Emcees Democratic LGBTQ Town Hall (Watch)

Variety | 10/13/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/screen-shot-2019-10-12-at-8.33.22-pm.png?w=700&h=393&crop=1

“Pose” star and recent Emmy winner Billy Porter popped by Studio 8H at 30 Rockefeller Plaza to participate in “Saturday Night Live’s” third episode of its 45th season. Appearing as himself, Porter announced the candidates for the Democratic Town Hall cold open sketch — an event that was supposed to focus on LGBTQ issues and “straight girls who make Pride all about them,” according to moderator Anderson Cooper (played by “SNL” cast member Alex Moffat).

“The category is Vanderbilt dynasty news realness,” he said.

Porter - Cory - Booker - Chris - Redd

Porter first introduced Cory Booker (played by Chris Redd), who took the stage by saying, “My girlfriend was in ‘Rent,’ so yeah, I get it.” He was referring to Rosario Dawson, who played Mimi Marquez in the film version of Jonathan Larson’s Pultizer and Tony Award-winning play.

Redd’s Booker was asked if he had always had respect for the LGBTQ community, which he first answered by saying yes, since Day 1, he has had “nothing” but respect. The question was soon followed with a rebuttal about his 1992 op-ed, in which he said derogatory things about the gay community.

Uh - Aidy - Bryant - Mouth - Question

“Uh oh,” he said, as soon as he heard “1992” come out of Aidy Bryant’s mouth. “Now I don’t want you to think I’m dodging the question, so I’m going to go now.”

This gave Porter the perfect segue to bring Colin Jost as Pete Buttigieg to the stage, introducing him as “mayor of booty gig.” When asked how he would respond to people who say he is “not gay in the right way,” Jost’s Buttigieg replied that he has heard that, but “there is no wrong way to be gay — unless you’re Ellen this week.”

Jost - Buttigieg - Question - Veteran

Jost’s Buttigieg then followed with a question of his own: “Why am I not winning this?” He pointed out that he is a veteran, under the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!