'Implicit Racism' Explicitly Kills in New CBS Series ‘Evil’

NewsBusters | 10/4/2019 | Staff
ridge-khridge-kh (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/evil-750x392.jpg

The pilot for CBS’s new series Evil last week was interesting to say the least. The show followed an agnostic forensic psychologist and a budding priest investigating the validity of supernatural events, and yet, religion wasn’t maligned every few minutes. But in the second episode, all that goodwill was spent on morally ambiguous priests and a cry of "implicit racism."

The October 2 episode “177 Minutes” focuses on the team of psychologist Kristen (Katja Herbers) and priest-in-training David (Mike Colter) looking into a miracle at the local hospital. 18-year-old Naomi (Hannah Hodson) was declared dead for almost three hours until she suddenly came back to life. The event becomes more bizarre when an image of another recently dead patient named Bernadette appears in the footage of Naomi’s death. No one seems to fully understand what happened, including the hospital owner Neil Benton (Sanjit De Silva), the paramedics, and the alcoholic priest who performed last rites on her. Trust me, the clearly alcoholic priest is the least of our worries here.

Meaning - Footage - David - American - Cause

Although they never really figure out the meaning behind the altered footage, David, who is African American, soon discovers the cause behind Naomi’s slow resuscitation. It turns out implicit racism can literally kill in this case as he presents the evidence to Neil.

Neil: So I'm glad you've agreed with us it's not a miracle.

David - Yep - Hyperinflation - COPD

David: Yep. Turned out to be hyperinflation and undiagnosed COPD.

Neil: Good.

David - Paramedics - Fault

David: But it wasn't the, uh, paramedics' fault.

Neil: Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that, but it's good we're on the same side. Uh, what are those?

David - Emergency - Efforts - Hospital

David: Emergency lifesaving efforts of this hospital...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Millions in tribute, but not a penny left for charity.