CEO David Krane suggests GV could sell the rest of its Uber stake at the end of its lockup period next month

TechCrunch | 10/3/2019 | Staff
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/48838378997_dc9beeb5d7_k.jpg?w=600

Today at TC’s Disrupt show in San Francisco, we took the stage with David Krane, a longtime veteran of Google who took the reins as the CEO of its venture arm, GV, three years ago but hasn’t spoken publicly since. We asked him why he’s been in hiding before diving into some questions about Uber — whose $250 million Series C round in 2013 was somewhat famously funded entirely by GV — and trying to understand better how GV is organized under his leadership.

Following is some of our chat, edited lightly for length and clarity:

TC - Years - Role - CEO - Hiding

TC: It’s been three years since you took the role of CEO. Why has it taken you so long to come out of hiding?

DK: Well, I haven’t been in hiding, I’ll tell you that we’ve been really busy. When you have a second act at Google, which is remarkably different from your first act, you actually kind of have to stay focused on that. So we’ve been busy building an extremely large scale venture firm, which this year is celebrating our 10th birthday. And I’ve been doing that [from its outset].

Lot - Deals - Uber - One - Dollar

TC: There’s a lot to chat about. Let’s talk quickly about one of your highest-profile deals, which was investing in Uber. I’ve long heard that you are the one who was agitating to lead this $250 million dollar Series C round, which, at the time, was a very big deal. It was also a brilliant investment. Do you think Uber is also a good investment now for public shareholders?

DK: This is a special company. This company has an unmistakable brand. It operates in countries around the world. It has scaled, it ha a moat around it, it’s touched by almost no one in the category. So honestly, we’re long term. We’re bullish on this. And I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!