Selena Gomez says she's 'afraid' for the country in immigration op-ed

Mail Online | 10/2/2019 | Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com
chrismpottschrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/02/17/19216166-0-image-a-12_1570033977077.jpg

Selena Gomez has recounted how her paternal aunt sneaked into America from Mexico in the back of a truck in the 1970s in an emotional op-ed about immigration and her family's roots.

The 27-year-old Texan born singer published an article in TIME on Tuesday in which she described the 'bravery' of her paternal aunt and grandparents who came to the US illegally in the 1970s.

Father - Ricardo - America - Mother - Mandy

Her father, Ricardo, was born in America. Her mother, Mandy Teefey, is also a US citizen.

In her article, Gomez described how her aunt - the first in the family to leave their native Mexico - entered the US by hiding in the back of a truck.

Grandparents - Ricardo - Mary - Daughter - US

Her paternal grandparents, Ricardo, 64, and Mary, 69, followed their daughter and, once in the US, they welcomed Selena's father, who is also called Ricardo.

In the article, Gomez said: 'In the 1970s, my aunt crossed the border from Mexico to the United States hidden in the back of a truck.

Grandparents - Father - Texas - US - Thanks

'My grandparents followed, and my father was born in Texas soon after. In 1992, I was born a U.S. citizen thanks to their bravery and sacrifice. Over the past four decades, members of my family have worked hard to gain United States citizenship.

'Undocumented immigration is an issue I think about every day, and I never forget how blessed I am to have been born in this country thanks to my family and the grace of circumstance.

News - Headlines - Debates - Immigration - Rage

'But when I read the news headlines or see debates about immigration rage on social media, I feel afraid for those in similar situations. I feel afraid for my country,' she said.

Gomez went on to say that while she is no 'expert', she feels compelled to speak out on the issue despite having 'fear' of backlash.

'I

'I don’t claim to be an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep