What Puts the “S” in Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) Webpages?

ChurchLeaders | 10/1/2019 | Staff
kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/https-secure-webpages.jpg

We all have favorite movies that we never get tired of watching. No holiday season is complete (at least in our house) without a family viewing of “Elf” — I’m ready for it right now! In one memorable scene, the main character, Buddy, strolls past a New York coffee shop, where to his amazement, he notices a neon “WORLD’S BEST CUP OF COFFEE” sign. With great naivety, a joyous Buddy pops in the diner and yells, “You did it! Congratulations! World’s best cup of coffee! Great job, everybody!” The idea of further questioning a food label or a claim on a neon sign, is also now true for visiting perceived ‘healthier’ websites. I’m referencing Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) webpages. Over the course of many years, I’ve repeatedly drilled it into the minds of computer users to always look for the padlock icon immediately to the left of the website address. The padlock icon represented security: meaning the visited website has been issued a certificate meant to imply that the site was secure from attacker hacks and cyber eavesdropping. Is that still the case?

The “S” Stands for Secure—or Does It? Since 2018, the use of HTTPS websites has far surpassed the use of HTTP (non-secure). For most businesses HTTPS pages are a requirement. After all, failure to own a secure site will result in Google Chrome boldly tagging your site as “Not Secure”. We can agree that it stands to reason that the more secure websites out there, the better.

Issue - WithHypertext - Transfer - Protocol - Secure

However, the issue withHypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) sites recently is that cybercriminals are quick to evolve their deceitful practices. Instead of luring victims via phishing scams to clearly marked unsafe HTTP sites, we’re seeing a movement where newer malicious schemes are pointing to secure sites. The website line differentiating between...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!