Why Cultural Context Is Key

The Gospel Coalition | 9/24/2019 | Collin Hansen,Darryl Williamson
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/27150216/Darryl_Williamson.jpg

How do you expect unbelieving friends, family, and neighbors to react to your faith? Many of the best evangelists expect to win them to faith in Jesus Christ. I’ve found I often expect hostility. And that’s probably a product of growing up in a churchgoing but not evangelical home, and then attending college where my beliefs were clearly marginal. It comes more naturally for me, then, to live my faith as a countercultural act. Even so, I admire other Christians who more naturally advocate for our faith as a public good.

You may have heard Tim Keller say, “We must be a counterculture for the common good.” That statement can be found in The Gospel Coalition’s Theological Vision of Ministry in section three on contextualization, which asks, “How should we relate to the culture around us?” The counterculture for the common good brings together biblical expectations that we often pit against...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: