Smuggling Justice

Red Letter Christians | 9/23/2019 | Laura Melvin
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/australia-campervan-looking-back.jpg

I had no plans to step into one of my favorite parables, but sometimes you meet someone in need along a road. Sometimes, it’s really not a choice to walk on by. Sometimes, I can remember what Jesus taught in John 4:9.

Recently, I found myself gathered with friends at a kitchen table in New Mexico, discussing justice, as we do. George yanked off his baseball cap and slammed it on Tom’s table shouting, “Damn it. I’ll drive them there by myself! They’ll be murdered if they’re sent back to El Salvador!”

George - Immigration - Attorney - Mother - María*

George, an immigration attorney, explained that a mother (María*) and three young children were following the law and sought asylum in the U.S. But if they returned to El Salvador, Maria would be murdered immediately, the young boys would be conscripted into the gang from which they fled, and that a worse fate awaited her daughter. María had another court date in El Paso in two weeks but had a much better chance if heard by an immigration judge in California. So George had prepared his version of a Motion for Change of Venue to make arrangements to send the family to an attorney in Los Angeles. That’s when I showed up just passing through New Mexico, stopping to have dinner with friends.

Although several churches in this small New Mexico town had raised money for the family’s trip to California — María, her three children, and her boyfriend José — when it was time to volunteer to drive a van of immigrants to Los Angeles, the room fell silent. They said they were afraid of trouble with ICE if the van was stopped since José did not have papers.

George - Condition - Drive

I knew George had a medical condition that would make a solo drive difficult and perhaps dangerous. And then there was that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: