How the Experts Say We Should Fix Our Politics

Cranach | 9/23/2019 | Staff
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/09/35555985_d831e15fca_o.jpg

We keep discussing our political and governmental woes, but what do the experts say? The online political news site Politico has a feature in which dozens of experts from across the political spectrum are asked to give brief statements about what they think we should do to fix America’s problems. Reading their prescriptions fills me with reassurance about our country at the knowledge that these experts are not in charge, making me realize that, by contrast, our messy democracy is not as bad after all.

Politico’s feature is entitled How to Fix Politics, with the explanatory deck, “Everyone agrees something is broken. Can we make it better? POLITICO Magazine asked dozens of big thinkers to tell us their boldest solutions to America’s problems.” It divides our alleged problems into categories, with over a dozen “big thinkers” weighing in with no more than a paragraph or two expressing their “boldest solutions.” I’ll give you the categories, with a sample of what they had to say.

Misinformation - News - Voter - Ignorance - Media

Misinformation: How to tackle fake news, voter ignorance, our social media addiction and more.

Solutions include “Cut Back on Electronic Connectedness“: “First, increase the cost of high-speed internet to a per-hour surcharge so that people will feel an actual cost to the hours they spend surfing around idiotic sites. Just like food, when information is cheap and unhealthy, we consume more of it than we should.” Another idea is “Term Limits for Pundits“: Make pundits quit when they show a pattern of being wrong. “Maybe we can create a cultural shift in which professional opinion-having becomes as about as acceptable as, oh, let’s say smoking.”

Solution - A - Voting - System - Ignorance

The “boldest solution” is to impose “A Voting System That Accounts for Ignorance”:

Here’s how it works. On Election Day, everyone (even children) gets to vote as an equal. But when they vote, they do three...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: