When David Platt asks: Have We Lost Our Capacity to Weep?

Ann Voskamp | 9/23/2019 | Staff
lukealukea (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://live.staticflickr.com/3885/15337888626_b99e281b5d_b_d.jpg

When David Platt reached out to ask if I’d read his latest book, I’ll just tell you: I could not put it down. Because he’s asking big questions, the questions we’re asking, whether we’re looking around our own neighborhoods or at international headlines, many of us wonder, Where is God in the midst of suffering? How can I be a part of healing in such a hurting world? When Pastor Platt traveled to the poorest regions of the Himalayas, he wrestled with those questions too, even asking, “Is Jesus really the hope of the world after all?” David has taken risks in his life, but some say writing his latest book, Something Needs to Change might be one of his riskiest ideas yet, and I couldn’t agree more.

When I read this book? To be honest, I just have to say:

Weight - Book - Gravity - Power - Life-change

The weight of this book belies the gravity of its catalytic power for life-change.

Grippingly vulnerable, humble, and unforgettable, Platt leads you on an astonishingly transparent interior journey of his heart and mind — that profoundly changes your own.

Book - Book - Discipleship - Time

I could not put this book down. This book is transformative, cruciform discipleship in real time.

Alone in a guesthouse at the base of the Himalayas, I found myself on my knees, face to the floor, sobbing.

Evidence - Week—a - Backpack - Poles - Boots

Scattered around me was the evidence of my past week—a backpack, trekking poles, hiking boots.

I was fresh off a weeklong journey through some of the highest mountains in the world and only hours from a flight home to the States.

Capacity

“It makes me wonder if we’ve lost our capacity to weep.”

But I hadn’t planned on ending my trip with out-of-control tears.

Day - Hand - Number - Times - Adult

Up to that day, I could count on one hand the number of times I’d cried in my adult life.

Yet there I was, crying uncontrollably because of what the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ann Voskamp
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: