Simone Missick on Why Her All Rise Role Is a Political Statement

TVGuide.com | 9/20/2019 | Megan Vick
Click For Photo: https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2019/09/19/3e06e24f-e6dd-428a-b1eb-87cb49f21c08/thumbnail/1300x867/20b367d6d82f68262bd820de35d4d6f4/190919-all-rise-simone-missick-wilson-bethel.jpg

Simone Missick is a name you should have heard by now, with such acting credits as Luke Cage, Altered Carbon, Marvel's The Defenders to her name. But she'll be stepping front-and-center as the lead of a broadcast drama for the first time this fall as Judge Lola Carmichael on CBS's All Rise. The series centers on Lola as she begins her first year as a judge in Los Angeles criminal court, but it's not like the stiff legal dramas you have seen before.

First of all, Missick and Lola are black women. The series will explore what it's like for a woman of color to hold that kind of position of power and how her ethnicity shapes her perspective on the cases brought before her.

Missick - Star - All - Rise - Diverse

While Missick is the star of All Rise, she's supported by a diverse ensemble. At the heart of the show is Lola's friendship with District Attorney Mark Callan (Wilson Bethel) as they both try to navigate their complicated new professional dynamic. Jessica Camacho plays green public defender Emily Lopez, who is trying to do the best for her clients in a broken legal system. Ruthie Ann Miles is Lola's aide, who prefers to play by the rules and reminds Lola when she isn't going by the book.

Together, the group tries to mend the justice system and make it more fair for everyone who interacts with it. TV Guide spoke with both Missick and Bethel ahead of the series premiere to tease what viewers can expect in this fresh new procedural.

Show

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

What drew you to your respective characters?

Simone - Missick - Show - Comedy - Drama

Simone Missick: I was just so impressed with how funny she was, without the show necessarily being considered a comedy. It wasn't the typical legal drama that I had come across. Her character wasn't just...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!