Academic antisemitism returns

Religion News Service | 9/20/2019 | Staff
moni (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/webRNS-Duke-Chapel1-091319.jpg

Jewish parents: be ready for your kids calling you from campus.

It might not be about “please transfer money into my account.”

Something

It might be about something that you might not have expected.

On college campuses, there is a growing sense that the mood is turning not only anti-Israel, but anti-Jewish and anti-Judaism.

Hofstra - University - Long - Island - Student

At Hofstra University on Long Island. An Orthodox Jewish student told her professor that she would need to miss class for the Days of Awe. He told her that she should re-evaluate her religious beliefs.

In another incident at Hofstra, a student in class compared Jewish in-marriage to Nazi eugenics. When a Jewish student told the professor that she was uncomfortable, he told her that she should be less sensitive.

Duke - University - University - North - Carolina

At Duke University and the University of North Carolina — the joint Middle Eastern studies program. That program has not only shown a bias against Israel. ); it also betrays a bias against Judaism and Christianity, focusing only on Islam as a religion of the Middle East.

Earlier this year, that consortium hosted a conference on Gaza. One of the presenters at this high-profile conference was the Palestinian rapper Tamer Nafar. He told the audience that he wanted to sing them a song, but that he needed their help singing it, because “I cannot be anti-Semitic alone.”

Tufts - University - Student - Flag - Door

At Tufts University, a Jewish student found a swastika flag on his door.

Because, in a world of uber-sensitivity and trigger warnings, there is one group that apparently does not deserve such sensitivity.

You got it.

It’s the Jews.

I cannot say that this is new.

I encountered it myself, more than forty years ago, when I was a student on the college campus. The casual and vitriolic anti-Israelism, from both students and professors (and this, in the wake of the Yom Kippur War) was searing.

I do not often get nostalgic about my...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!