Always Learning

Jesus Creed | 9/20/2019 | Staff
applecup (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-6-green.jpg

I can remember when I walked out of my last class at seminary. I had turned in all of my papers and finished all of my exams.

I was done.

Campus - Promise - Book - Paper

Driving off the campus, I made a promise that I would never read another book or write another paper as long as I lived.

I thought of that naïve promise as I looked at my desk this morning. On one side of my desk are the books I’m using for my personal Bible study and discipleship. I’m studying Matthew’s gospel, and I’m on chapter 5 – the Sermon on the Mount. In that stack, I have Ben Witherington’s commentary on Matthew, David Garland’s Reading Matthew, and of course, Scot McKnight’s book on the Sermon on the Mount.

Side - Desk - Stack - Books - Sunday

On the other side of my desk is a stack of books for Sunday’s sermon. This sermon series is about how we are to think faithfully and theologically about some contemporary issues Christ followers are now facing. This week is on social media. I’m counting twelve books in that stack.

Next to my reading chair at home are stacks of Scientific American, Time, Fast Company, Bloomberg, and Wired magazines. I’m also reading Rick Atkinson’s The British are Coming. (I loved his Liberation Trilogy about World War 2).

Guy - Book

For a guy who was never going to read another book, I seem to be drowning in them now.

What happened?

Thing - Challenges - Parts - Pastor - Pastor

For one thing, it didn’t take me long to realize how much I didn’t know. One of the great challenges and, for me, most intriguing parts of being a pastor is a pastor has to master so many different elements of scholarship, leadership and organizational management. Want to find more volunteers? There’s a book for that. Trying to figure out how to increase giving? There’s a book on that.

Now, with the internet, you...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!