Chuck Lorre's Bob Hearts Abishola Is a Love Story That Crosses Boundaries

TVGuide.com | 9/19/2019 | Malcolm Venable
Click For Photo: https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2019/09/09/e154746f-f4cb-458a-bede-ae985e127753/thumbnail/1300x867/9e852b378286bdf5567740962d30daac/190909-bob-hearts-abishola.jpg

When Bob, played by Mike & Molly's Billy Gardell, first meets the woman who captures his heart in CBS's new sitcom Bob Hearts Abishola, the sparks don't start flying right away. Indeed, the only electricity between the two comes via the monitors in the hospital Bob's been hooked up to, keeping nurses updated on his ticker after a heart attack.

One of those nurses is Abishola (Folake Olowofoyeku), who came to the U.S. from Nigeria. "You look like an angel," Bob tells her, later following that up later with, "I gotta pee. Do I just do it or do I go somewhere?" He's no Cyrano de Bergerac, clearly, but Bob's clumsy reverence for Abishola ends up charting a course for a relationship — and an unprecedented type of sitcom from creator Chuck Lorre.

Lorre - Mind - Comedies - Big - Bang

Lorre, the mind behind hit comedies including The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men, has already proven he can make relationship comedies (Mike & Molly) and "opposites attract" stories (Dharma & Greg) funny and successful. But with Bob Hearts Abishola, the king of sitcoms sets out to make an important statement.

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

Story - Greatness - First‑generation - Immigrants - Lorre

"The story I wanted to tell is about the greatness of first‑generation immigrants," Lorre told reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour earlier this year. "The focus and discipline, the hard work, rigorous, rigorous honesty that goes with coming here and grabbing ahold of the American dream. The premise of the series is, 'Immigrants make America great.'"

At the core of the series are hardworking, decent people from different walks of life, all contributing to the American dream and trying to take care of their families — with Bob and Abishola learning how much their differences dissolve the more they get to know each other. A full-on romance...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do you exist for Something or Nothing?