‘She Has a Spirit of ______.’ But Are Such Phrases Biblical?

The Gospel Coalition | 9/19/2019 | Adam Mabry
marisha (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/01134724/camilla-plener-KpWnm-f_4pE-unsplash-copy.jpg

“She has a Jezebel spirit!”

I was confused, as I neither knew who Jezebel was, nor how her spirit had invaded this young woman. Yet the man speaking seemed passionate. Apparently, a young woman in his church was being a problem—gossiping or some such matter. Of course, I was a new Christian at the time, visiting the local Pentecostal church to see what it was like. Turns out in this instance, it wasn’t so great.

Adult - Lot - Time - Pentecostal/charismatic - Circles

As an adult, I’ve spent a lot of time in Pentecostal/charismatic circles, and I’ve heard similar language. “Let’s ask God for a spirit of peace” or “I sense a spirit of fear,” for example. My point here isn’t to adjudicate the truth of these claims, but to assess the usefulness of this language. What are we talking about when we talk about the “spirit of” this or that?

Or, put in charismatic parlance, there’s a spirit of confusion afoot here. Let’s see if we can cast it out.

Bible - Spirits—and - Person - Godhead - Paramount

The Bible doesn’t shy away from talking about spirits—and not just the third person of the Godhead, though he’s certainly paramount. Yet there are other uses of “spirit” language that may surprise us Reformed types. Here’s a few:

A spirit of skill: “You shall speak to all the skillful, whom I have filled with a spirit of skill” (Exod. 28:3).

Spirit - Spirit - Jealousy - Wife - Num

A spirit of jealousy: “. . . and if the spirit of jealousy comes over him and he is jealous of his wife” (Num. 5:14).

A spirit of confusion: “The LORD has mingled within her a spirit of confusion” (Isa. 19:14).

Spirit - Slavery - Spirit - Slavery - Fear

A spirit of slavery: “For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear” (Rom. 8:15).

A spirit of love and gentleness: “What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
One of the countries we liberated was Russia, too bad it seems to have cost us our liberty.