ABOUT SHELOVES

SheLoves Magazine | 9/18/2019 | Nichole Forbes
eymira (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://shelovesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/nichole-forbes-dismantle-what-you-must-2.png

About two hours from our city there is a provincial park that houses an old dam that has been abandoned for nearly 70 years. In 1951, a more efficient dam was built and this old one was shut down and partly dismantled. There are endless hiking paths to explore in and through the old dam and it seemed like the perfect place to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I felt like I was walking through the set of a post-apocolyptic movie. Rusted out turbines, crumbling walls of abandoned industry and nature, the new-growth of nature, pushing through every crack and crevice. And the sound of water rushing over rocks. The sound of life, despite the ruins.

Movie - Reflection - Life

It wasn’t a movie; it was real. And it was the perfect reflection of my life.

My life is in renovation mode. My house, my faith, my relationships, the core of my own self. All of it. It’s good and messy and difficult and freeing all at once and sometimes it can be overwhelming. That’s how I ended up on top of an abandoned hydro-electric dam.

Work - Change - Break - Family - Adventure

I was overwhelmed by all of the hard, everyday work of change and I needed a break, so I packed up the family and we went on an adventure.

As we walked along the path, my 19-year-old son said something that caused me to see this old dam in a new way:

Something - Time - Community - Way - Life

“It’s funny how something that was so vital at one time, could be so easily forgotten. A whole community and way of life was built around this place and now it’s just a ruin and the community is growing somewhere else.”

In that moment, the old, decaying and crumbling walls became evidence of the internal work I’ve been doing over the last few years. The life that was flourishing all around the ruins became...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SheLoves Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A slice out of infinity
Tagged: