Is It Biblical to Say, ‘Bloom Where You’re Planted’?

The Gospel Coalition | 9/17/2019 | Derek J. Brown
AnnieFoxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08100325/Is-It-Biblical-to-Say-Bloom-Where-Youre-Planted.png

It wasn’t until high school that I began to notice my mom would repeat a proverbial phrase in response to my anxious musings about the future. “Bloom where you’re planted,” she would quip, as I fretted about what I should do with my life.

I wasn’t a Christian at the time, and I was in the thick of my teenage years, so these sayings—she had a host of others—would, to borrow another idiom, float in one ear and out the other. What hath horticulture to do with a young man’s concern over his future?

Christ - Year - College - Passion - Scriptures

When I trusted Christ during my sophomore year of college, my passion for the Scriptures turned insatiable. I desired to know the truth and discuss it with others. My parents were already Christians, so it was natural that our conversations often turned to the Bible. Sometime after my conversion, I was talking with my parents, probably pondering the future, when Mom again unearthed her agricultural wisdom: “Bloom where you’re planted.” But this time she added, “Where is that in the Bible?”

It sounds biblical, doesn’t it? The Bible is replete with agrarian references and illustrations, and there’s something about the prima facie wisdom of the phrase the makes it sound like it fell straight from the lips of Solomon or Jesus.

Problem - Course - Phrase - Bible - Concordance

The problem, of course, is that there is no such phrase in your Bible. Pull out your concordance, open your Bible-search program, scour the Proverbs and the Gospels—you won’t find “bloom where you’re planted.” The law and prophets won’t help you; neither will Paul, Peter, James, or Jude. The phrase is simply not there.

Many colloquial phrases get tossed around that are often mistaken as biblical statements. “Spare the rod and spoil the child” is one with which you might be familiar. It’s not in the Bible. The famed “Footprints”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!