Living your passion: When it becomes more about you, not God

www.christianpost.com | 9/16/2019 | Staff
Kota79Kota79 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/29/232991.jpeg

Facebook Twitter Email Menu Comment

At distinct moments in time, certain messages or themes seem to be amplified throughout the Christian airwaves. One of the more prominent motivational headlines currently flowing out of social media memes, influencers, podcasts, sermons, and spiritual leaders is one that encourages us to discover our purpose, live our passions, and find our tribe. These three things, they say, are the key to living the kind of fulfilled lives that God desires, even commands, of us.

Sounds - Sign

Sounds perfect, even biblical! Sign me up!

With much gusto, I set out on a journey a few years ago to find my purpose in life. Once that was cleared up, I planned to do work that I was passionate about with people who cared about the same things I did. If I wasn't passionate about what I started, couldn't see the purpose in it, or didn't gel with the people around me, I had permission to drop everything and start anew. This was the message I had been waiting for my whole life!

Quest - Student - Purpose - Passion - Tribe

My enthusiastic quest as a student of the "Purpose, Passion, Tribe" mantra took on many forms over the years, including: waiting for hours, days, and eventually years for God to reveal my purpose, going back to school . . . again, attending many churches, listening to a slew of podcasts, starting jobs, forming the obligatory tribal acquaintances, and taking all the personality quizzes (where are my Enneagram people?).

I valiantly continued my pursuit by leaving churches, quitting jobs (that didn’t match my personality quizzes), listening to more sermons, abandoning tribal acquaintances, waiting some more, praying a lot, crying a lot more than I prayed, and napping more than I prayed or cried because this was exhausting.

Sermons

This wasn’t playing out quite like the sermons said it should.

Recently, I heard...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The truth fairly and honestly presented, will be spun as a lie by a politician.
Tagged: