Every Master (But One) Leads to a Living Death

Summit Life with J.D. Greear | 9/16/2019 | Staff
itsdonaldk (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://jdgreear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/mark-galer-f7-aL0xQd6A-unsplash-1-1.jpg

When Pastor Joby Martin moved to Jacksonville, Florida, one of the first invitations he got was to the local greyhound racing track.

The most interesting part of the experience, he said, is right before the race starts. They bring out a fake rabbit named Rusty and wave it in front of the dogs, and the announcer goes, “Heeeere’s Rusty!” Those dogs get pumped and start banging against the doors of the cages, itching to get ahold of Rusty. When the gates open, the dogs tear off after Rusty, rounding those corners like it’s Talladega. They get all the way to the end, and that “rabbit” suddenly disappears.

Kennel - Ahh - Time - Friends - Gosh

You have to imagine that later, as they’re lounging in the kennel, they’re like, “Ahh, I was so close this time!” And their friends go, “Gosh, me too! You think we’ll ever see that rabbit again?”

Sure enough, the next day, Rusty’s back. And they chase him around and around again.

Ordeal - Gosh - Dogs - Game - Rabbit

If you were watching this whole ordeal, you might think, “Gosh, what dumb dogs. Don’t they know the game is rigged? They’ll never get the rabbit. Plus, that rabbit isn’t even real.”

But take a step back and look at the frenetic pace you run every day. Be honest about what drives you—and about how fiercely it drives you. If someone were watching your life, they might see some similarities with the race dogs.

Heeeeeere - Rusty

“Heeeeeere’s Rusty!”

Pastor Joby said, “It’s rare, but sometimes one of the dogs actually catches the rabbit. They chew through it and realize (in their doggie way), ‘Hey, wait a minute. I’ve been duped. This who thing is a fraud.’ When that happens, the dog will never race again. Its motivation disappears.”

Dogs - Rusty - Car

And that’s where the dogs are actually smarter than us. Because many of us have “caught Rusty.” We got the car, moved into the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Summit Life with J.D. Greear
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: