Hailee Steinfeld Announces New Single Tied to Apple TV Plus’ ‘Dickinson’

Variety | 9/14/2019 | Elizabeth Wagmeister
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/shutterstock_editorial_10414303bb.jpg?crop=261px,92px,1722px,969px&resize=700,393

Actress, singer and producer Hailee Steinfeld is set to release a new single entitled “Afterlife” on Sept. 19, a track she created for her upcoming Apple TV Plus series,”Dickinson.”

“This is a song I’m incredibly proud of, and I feel like after embodying this character, I have a more fearless approach to my writing,” Steinfeld shared at the Tribeca TV Festival in New York City on Saturday Night.

Dickinson - Period - Piece - Emily - Dickinson

“Dickinson,” a period piece about Emily Dickinson with a modern, comedic twist, is Steinfeld’s first-ever full time television series, and with it she experienced another big first by unveiling the show at the event: “Dickinson” is the first Apple TV Plus series to debut to the public, and it did so well-ahead of the Nov. 1 launch of the new streaming service.

Series creator and showrunner Alena Smith described “Dickinson” as a “crazy psychedelic version of the 1850s.

Collage - Music - Root - Brain - Smith

“It’s this giant weird crazy collage, and the music is this direct root straight into her brain,” Smith explained. “With Hailee as our lead, who has a double life, as also a pop star and musician…my hope is that the music will make you feel everything that Emily has trapped inside and wants to burst out.”

TV News Roundup: Wiz Khalifa Books Role on Apple TV Plus' 'Dickinson'

Steinfeld - Producer - Series - Music - Factor

For Steinfeld, who doubles as an executive producer on the half-hour series, the music was a main factor in drawing her to the project. The music of Billie Eilish, for example, is a backdrop to the show, and “Dickinson” even brought on rapper Wiz Khalifa to play Death in a guest role. (Other guest stars include comedian John Mulaney and “Girls” alum Zosia Mamet, who’ll do a parody of Louisa May Alcott.) The modern-day additions serve as tools to help convey thoughts within Dickinson’s mind, which are depicted here as wild, whimsical...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...