Parade panic in South Plainfield: the terrorists have succeeded in scaring public officials, if not the public | Mulshine

nj.com | 9/5/2019 | Staff
tiffcourt011 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.nj.com/resizer/mlNCacbN8zd-8qClGonD_aX-Q6Y=/1200x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-advancelocal.s3.amazonaws.com/public/5HBZIPMUSRDC7ATGAT6T36O6AQ.jpg

After the 9/11 attacks, we began to hear that cliche about how “the terrorists will have won” if we let ourselves become so consumed with fear that we no longer act rationally.

Well, the future is now.

Reaction - Decision - Labor - Day - South

That’s my reaction to that decision to cancel the annual Labor Day parade in South Plainfield because a guy left some fireworks in a bar in Sea Bright.

When I got an email from the Governor’s Office Monday morning saying this year’s parade had been canceled, I figured it might be because of the weather.

Parade - Year - Sun - Pavement - Point

I covered the parade a year ago and the sun was bearing down on the pavement to the point that I actually felt sorry for the politicians who had to march.

I figured that this year it might be raining on the parade route. The skies were clear at my house, but the weather’s been weird lately.

Nope - Parade - Guy - South - Plainfield

Nope. It soon turned out that the parade had been canceled because a guy from South Plainfield had left some fireworks in a bar in Sea Bright as a present for his favorite band.

The band, which is called “Guns for Hire" acoustic trio, put up the following on its Facebook page:

Fan - Band - Years - Gifts - Lights

“A fan of our band who has been coming to see us for many years and who always brings us gifts (lights, back drop banner, etc.) made an error in judgment and brought fireworks to the show. Unfortunately, these fireworks were left behind around the stage area after a great night at the venue.”

The police arrived and confiscated the fireworks. By Sunday night they had arrested 55-year-old Thomas Kaiser and searched his home, which, like about a thousand other homes, is near the seemingly endless parade route in South Plainfield.

Dozen - Devices - Bombs - Authorities

There they found about “half a dozen” destructive devices similar to pipe bombs, authorities said.

But in an interview...
(Excerpt) Read more at: nj.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!