Dispensed: A digital health IPO bust, Walmart's push into healthcare, and an MIT project that didn't live up to the hype

Business Insider | 9/13/2019 | Lydia Ramsey
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5c658d022628986dbf0ff857-1920-960.jpg

Hello!

Lydia here, back from my wedding and honeymoon and ready to dive into this week's deluge of healthcare news. As my colleagues likely filled you in, I got married in August over in Evanston, Illinois then popped over to Spain for a few weeks of sun, water, and so many tapas. I hope everyone's final weeks of summer were as full as fun and cake as mine was!

Home - Time - Training - New - York

I made it home just in time to start training for the New York Marathon — which I'll be writing more about for Business Insider, so please send your best marathon training tips/questions/story ideas to me at lramsey@businessinsider.com.

Are you new to our newsletter? You can sign up for Dispensed here.

Home - Time - SmileDirectClub - Offering - Thursday

That meant I also made it home in time to see SmileDirectClub go up for its initial public offering on Thursday. It was a roller coaster of a day: First, the stock priced above its range at $23 a share, but then it began trading below that. By the close Thursday, the stock was down 28% from where it priced.

Even if things didn't quite go to plan for the SmileDirectClub team, the IPO still made some of the company's key execs (including 30-year-old cofounders Alex Fenkell and Jordan Katzman) billionaires.

Buzzy - Healthcare - Startup - SmileDirectClub - Execs

Buzzy healthcare startup SmileDirectClub just went public. Here are the execs and investors who stand to benefit the most.

SmileDirectClub, a company that provides clear aligners to straighten your teeth, tumbled 28% in its stock market debut Thursday after pricing its initial public offering at $23 a share.

SmileDirectClub - Day - Trading - Valuation

SmileDirectClub ended its first day of trading with a $6.4 billion valuation.

Here are the top investors in SmileDirectClub, including CEO David Katzman and cofounders Jordan Katzman and Alex Fenkell, and how much their stakes are worth.

Zach - Tracer - Sean - Slovenski - Walmart

Elsewhere, Zach Tracer and I caught up with Sean Slovenski, Walmart's president of health...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!