'You're a white man, why don't you fire yourself?' Piers Morgan clashes with fire chief

Mail Online | 9/11/2019 | Joel Adams For Mailonline
fofo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/11/08/18335228-0-image-a-24_1568186219751.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/09/11/6006387596156488379/1024x576_MP4_6006387596156488379.mp4

Piers Morgan challenged a fire chief to 'fire himself' for being a white man and said no woman had ever refused to be a firefighter because of Fireman Sam, after a Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service dropped Fireman Sam as a mascot.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service axed the fictional character, who is white and male, over concerns he may discourage women or ethnic minorities from joining the force.

Mascots - Freddy - Filbert - Fire - Extinguishers

It will now rely on its other two mascots, Freddy and Filbert, which are blue and red fire extinguishers complete with hands, a mouth and eyes.

Les Britzman, Chief Fire Officer, called in to Good Morning Britain this morning for a spirited discussion with Piers Morgan, and said he was trying to increase recruitment among the female populatoin to save lives.

Mr - Morgan

But an agitated Mr Morgan repeatedly asked him why he was not firing himself.

Mr Britzman said that Fireman Sam was not a brand owned by the LFRS so what they could do with Sam as a mascot was 'restrictive' and did not help to get acros stheir central message about fire safety, smoke alarms, and escape routes.

'It - Man - FRS - % - Males

He went on: 'It’s not hypocrisy. Yes I’m a white man, across FRS there’s about 95% white males. Me being a white male does not reflect our society, roughly half our society is female.'

Challenged for the first of many times by Mr Morgan to resign, he said: 'No, but I will try to recruit more female firefighters.'

Word - Edgeways - Presenter - Fire - Chief

Struggling to get a word in edgeways over the irate presenter, the fire chief said: 'Piers you rang me to interview me, so if I could have word?

'Yes Fireman Sam is modern it has firefighter Penny, it has helicopters and a boat team. But why can’t the producers or the owners update the brand and call it Firefighter Sam?

Programme

'The programme overall reflects...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!